Sorry I’ve been MIA lately. We’ve recently decided to move on pretty short notice, just two short weeks, so I’ve been spending every spare moment packing and planning for the move!
I’ve decided to start a series of blog posts where each Friday I highlight something that is a favorite of mine; a recipe, book, product, place, or business. It’ll be known as my “Friday Favorites”. To kick off the series I’m posting my favorite sugar cookie recipe handed down to me from my mom; thanks mom!
- 1/2 cup softened butter (I use unsalted)
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Beat together (by hand or mixer either works) butter, sugar, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract until fluffy.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Cover and chill in fridge for a minimum of two hours up to 12 hours. *If dough chills for more than two hours let it warm up on cupboard for 30 minutes before rolling out*
- Roll out dough on floured surface and cut into whatever shapes you’d like.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets and pop in to pre-heated 350 degree oven.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out of oven and let rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks and let cool completely before decorating.
*Can double recipe for more yummy cookies!
Sugar Cookie Frosting:
- 2 Cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening or softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Combine all ingredients and mix until it reaches desired consistancy *If too thick add 1 tbsp milk at a time to thin it out*