Do you have a favorite meal or maybe an easy go to dinner? Or maybe you’re in need of one?
Well for me, my favorite easy dinner is hamburger helper. I grew up eating it and just love it…my husband however not so much! He dislikes how much salt is in the boxed kind, and would prefer a version that is a wee bit healthier. So we compiled a few different recipes found online to create this version that suits us best.
- 1 package of hamburger. I used a half pound because I like a ratio of more noodles and less beef, but you can adjust based on your desires.
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (we love garlic in our household)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat until all the pink is gone.
- Drain ground beef. I use a slotted spoon to scoop it out on to a paper towel lined plate. Once drained, place beef back in skillet and return to heat.
- Add milk, water, macaroni, cornstarch, and all the spices. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and let simmer for 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked through but not mushy.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and serve.
*Leftovers can be placed in a sealed container in the fridge for a few days and reheated in the microwave.