I don’t know about you, but for me this time of year has me longing for cozy family dinners and fresh bread still warm from the oven. That can be a pretty tough task to accomplish with our work schedules which is where this recipe and my bread machine save the day. I just make up a batch of bread machine country white bread mix using Little House Living’s recipe and store it in the pantry so whenever I get a hankering for homemade bread, or don’t have any bread in the house (which is pretty typical for me), I can just whip out my bread machine, throw in the mix with a few wet ingredients, hit start, and walk away. After a few hours of the bread machine doing all the work I come back to a hot loaf of fresh, homemade bread that makes the entire house smell amazing; it doesn’t get any better than that!
Bread Machine Mix:
- 13 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 dry milk powder
- Carefully measure out all ingredients into a large bowl. I use the largest mixing bowl I have and it can hardly contain it all. It may not look or sound like a lot of dry ingredients, but it is!
- Combine until well mixed.
- Pour into storage container. I use a 110 ounce sugar container that seals well. At minimum you’ll need 110 ounce, but I recommend larger. My container is large enough to hold to mix minus the amount used for one loaf which I make as soon as I’m done stirring together the mix. So, if you don’t want to make a loaf right away you’ll need a larger container.
When Ready To Use:
- Set up your bread machine.
- Add 1 1/4 cups warm water, 1 package of active dry yeast, 1 1/2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and 3 1/2 cups of the mix to bread machine.
- Close lid and set on white/light bread regular (not rapid), and let the machine do the rest!
I hope you enjoy the convince of Little House Living’s recipe as much as I have!