Hip Hip Hooray! It’s Friday!
I don’t know about you, but for me this week has dragged on forever! I’m so glad it’s finally Friday!! I’m hoping to spend the weekend sewing, watching Christmas movies, and having my second annual Favorite Things party!
So, I thought that today would be the perfect day to share an easy sewing tutorial for my favorite double-sided baby blankets!
- about two yards of fabric
- coordinating thread
- sewing machine
- Cut fabric into two equally sized square/rectangular pieces.
- Place them together right sides touching and wrong sides facing out.
- Pin around the edges leaving a hand sized space on one side. You’ll use this space to flip the blanket once its sewed together.
- Sew around the edges using sewing machine and coordinating thread with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
- Trim any excess fabric around the edges and corners being careful not to cut too close to the seam.
- Turn right side out paying extra attention to those corners!
- Fold down the raw edges at your hand sized space and pin in place.
- Carefully stitch the hand sized space closed so that the raw edges are tucked inside and hidden from view using your sewing machine.
- You can stop now, or continue stitching around the entire outside edge of the blanket with a 1/4 to 1/2 inch seam allowance for a more finished look and some extra reinforcement. I usually do this because it only takes an extra moment or so using my sewing machine.
**For nice square corners: As you approach the corner slow down and stop about 1/4 inch from the edge of the fabric. Lower you needle, raise your presser foot, and rotate fabric so that you’ll be stitching down a new edge. Lower presser foot and sew!
Hope y’all have a wonderful weekend!